You could be the newest member of Social Signal, a Vancouver web company that helps to create innovative online communities. We’re looking for a deputy geek and virtual office manager who can pitch in on a wide range of socially-oriented web projects and help with our day-to-day administrative challenges. If you’re a community activist with a taste for technology — or a computer geek with a social conscience — this could be your dream job.
This is a full-time, entry-level position with room for growth. We want to find a resourceful, self-motivated person who is looking for an opportunity to demonstrate her or his range of skills and abilities. A techie/progressive with creative energy and intellectual curiosity will enjoy the challenges of working on ambitious international web projects, but we want to find that special someone who will also meet the many administrative needs of a fast-growing business.
Responsibilities will include:
– office administration including correspondence, schedule management, and invoicing
– writing blog posts, case studies and other articles
– research on a wide range of tech topics and social issues
– web site configuration and troubleshooting
– documenting online tools and writing how-to guides
– already living in Vancouver, BC
– well-organized and detail-oriented
– a technology enthusiast who enjoys playing with new tools (you don’t have to be a programmer, but you have to be good at learning new software tools)
– a good writer who can write quickly
– flexible and able to take on a wide range of responsibilities
– someone who enjoys working independently
– an experienced researcher who knows how to find information online
– able to identify tasks for yourself; hungry for feedback, not micro-management
– helpful and eager to pitch in wherever needed
– excited about putting your professional skills and technical knowledge to work for social change
– kind to small children and animals
Bonus points for:
– direct experience with technology in a nonprofit, government or advocacy setting
– knowledge of Drupal, Plone, PHP, Python, Linux/Unix and/or the Mac operating system
– having your own blog
– experience documenting software or web tools
– a decent definition of “Web 2.0”
Compensation will be commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply, please e-mail a rÃ©sumÃ© and cover letter to socialsignal at gmail dot com. Tell us why you’d like to work for Social Signal, and please describe any relevant skills and experiences.
Closing date: October 26, 2005. We may begin interviews before the closing date.