I’m one of Canada’s leading speechwriters. My first client won the leadership of a national political party — and for more than two decades since then, I’ve worked closely with leaders in politics, business, community organizations, labour and more – helping them connect with audiences and deliver clear, high-impact speeches.
How I approach speechwriting
- The spoken word: Speech is a medium with unique demands and strengths. I understand the pacing, dramatic structure and persuasive elements that can make a good speech great.
- A strategic vehicle: Your time and your audience’s attention are too valuable to waste. I integrate your central messages and communications strategy into the speech from the beginning.
- The right speech: Every audience is different. I’ve written speeches for events ranging from small, intimate gatherings to major campaign rallies. And I can tailor the cadence and tone of your speech to suit any audience.
- The right media: There are times when slides, charts or video can elevate a speech – and times when they can weigh it down. I can help you tell the difference, and craft the right media support for your message.
- In your own voice: I adapt my writing style not only to the occasion and to the audience, but also to your voice. The result is a speech that sounds and feels natural.
- Social and shareable: Today’s audience can extend far beyond the four walls of your speaking venue. I can advise you on making your speech the core of an ongoing conversation that magnifies the reach and impact of your ideas.
- An out-of-room experience: The best speeches leave their audiences with vivid images, real-life examples and striking turns of phrase. I draw on humour, metaphor and anecdote to make your speech memorable… and persuasive.
I work with The NOW Group, a full-service communications firm with locations across Canada. Here’s a little of what we do:
Speech coaching: From helping you hone the underlying narrative of your speech, to choosing the right cases and stories, to delivering your presentation with authority, confidence and impact, we can guide you through the process of creating a speech that moves crowds and changes minds.
Speechwriting and presentation design: We can deliver as complete a solution as you need, from bullet points to a full speaking text; from a single compelling chart to a full PowerPoint or Keynote deck; from a few shareable images to a complete social engagement strategy, including creative execution.
Training for executive communicators: Combining real-world experience with the fundamentals of solid speechwriting, we have delivered workshops to writers in government, labour, politics and non-profits.